Terms and Conditions
- Complete the registration form and return to BLS English by email, fax or post.
- Arrange a nonrefundable deposit of £150 for Preliminary Confirmation, or full payment by bank transfer or credit card for Final Confirmation of course.
- Please note a deposit will not be enough for us to issue a visa letter – only full fees.
- Full fees must always be paid at least 6 weeks before starting your course, unless booking late.
- If a visa is refused, you will receive a refund minus the £150 nonrefundable deposit. However, we must see the visa refusal letter first.
- Email or fax us the bank draft details (if appropriate).
- Once we have received full fees, we will issue a Final Letter of Confirmation including course details and dates, receipt and homestay name, address and telephone number.
- Accommodation special requests are only noted once full fees are received and though BLS English will do its best to meet your requests, they cannot be guaranteed. Late payment will make it harder to match your preferences and extra flexibility will be needed on the part of the student.
- If you require our airport transfer service on arrival, please let us know the full flight details as soon as possible.
All fees are made payable in pounds sterling and all bank charges must be paid by the student.
Bank transfer directly to:
Barclays Bank plc
15 Colmore Row,
Account Name: The Bury Language School Ltd.
Account Number: 20321249
Sort code: 20-07-71
Swift Code: BARCGB22
IBAN: GB19 BARC 20-07-71 20321249
Please note that all bank charges must be paid by you. The school requires a copy of the bank transfer details together with the name of the student. Please fax us a copy of this as soon as payment is made. We accept cheques in sterling drawn on a UK bank. We accept most major Credit Cards – please give the cardholders, full name, address where the card is registered, card number, expiry date and security code (send separately). American Express is accepted with a 3.5% surcharge.
Terms and Conditions
Please note that below reference to “BLS English” or “The School” refers to Bury Language School Ltd.
Registration with a nonrefundable deposit of £150 will receive Preliminary Course Confirmation stating the balance of the fees and the course details. The deposit will be deducted from the course fees.
The balance of the fees is payable no later than 6 weeks before arrival. Students reserving courses less than 6 weeks before arrival should send the full payment with their registration. Once your full fees have been paid, you will receive a Final Letter of Confirmation stating all course details and confirming host family address and telephone number. The student is liable for all bank charges.
Visa letters will not be issued without full fees being paid in advance. Please allow yourself enough time to receive the visa letter. The course fees and deposit are valid only for the person, course[s] and dates specified on the application form.
2. Visa Refusal
If you cancel your course before arrival due to visa refusal or you are refused entry to the UK, we shall refund your course fees in full minus the nonrefundable deposit. We need to see the original refusal letter in order to give you a refund. You must apply for the refund within six months of refusal date.
3. Cancellation before Arrival by you or BLS English
You must return the Confirmation of Registration and inform the School in writing at least 3 weeks before the start of the course and then BLS English will refund the fees in full less the non-refundable deposit. If you cancel less than 3 weeks before the start of your course, you will be charged for 3 weeks’ tuition and 3 weeks’ accommodation (if we have arranged this for you). If your registration for a course requires BLS ENGLISH to arrange Host Accommodation for you then final confirmation of your registration for a Course by BLS ENGLISH is conditional upon such Host Family accommodation being available for you notwithstanding the details of the same being disclosed in such final letter of confirmation. Should BLS ENGLISH be unable to secure, reserve or retain such Host Family Accommodation for you as the case may be due to same not being available or for any other reason beyond the control of BLS ENGLISH then BLS ENGLISH shall be entitled to cancel your registration for your course by giving you written notice of such cancellation not less than ten days before the start date of your course. In the event of such cancellation by BLS ENGLISH due to such Host Accommodation not being available for you for any of the aforegoing reasons BLS ENGLISH will refund to you in full the fees we have received from you.
4. Changing Course Dates / Postponement of Course
You must tell BLS English at least 1 week before arriving of any change in course dates. Course dates can be changed by up to 2 weeks with a £30 administration charge. Each separate change in dates will receive a £30 administration charge.
If you inform BLS English with less than 7 days before the start dates on your registration form and confirmation letter, you will be charged the first week’s tuition and accommodation fees but without administration charge.
Students wishing to start more than 2 weeks later than original course dates must tell BLS English at least 3 weeks in advance and will only be charged a £30 administration fee. If you tell BLS English with less than 3 weeks notice, we are entitled to charge you the full course fees and accommodation fees.
5. Cancelling or postponing Taxi Transfer
BLS English must be informed in writing at least 3 days in advance of original arrival date of any change to the taxi transfer. There will be a £30 administration charge but you will not lose your transfer fee. With less than 3 days’ notice, you will lose the taxi transfer fee and need to pay for another.
6. Cancellation or change of the course after arrival
If you need to leave the School after commencing the course, you will be required to give the School 3 weeks’ notice in writing. You will be given a credit for the tuition fees for any time remaining after the 3-week period. This credit will be valid for 12 months after the date of issue and is not transferable. There is an administrative charge in line with school rates for any change. Less than 3 weeks’ notice will mean the course fee is lost for that time.
7. Cancellation or Postponement of accommodation after arrival
If you need to leave the accommodation after arriving, you will be required to give the School 3 weeks’ notice in writing. The balance of accommodation fees will be refunded less the £30 administrative charge. If you give less than 3 weeks’ notice, you will be refunded minus this time.
8. Postponement/Holiday after starting your Course
You must give the School 3 weeks’ notice in writing of any intended postponement or change to your booked course. Fees can be used as a credit only to pay for a course with a later start date and a £30 administrative charge will be charged. You will be given a credit for the tuition fees for any time remaining after the 3-week notice period. This credit will be valid for 12 months after the date of issue and is not transferable. There is a £30 administrative charge for any change.
Accommodation must be paid for even when students are on holiday. However, if a holiday is prearranged, i.e. discussed at least 3 weeks before arrival, no payment will be necessary as long as all belongings are removed for the duration of the agreed holiday.
9. Changing timetable / class
You cannot reduce your weekly study hours or change from a full time course to a part-time course or One to One class. When necessary, the School reserves the right to alter the timetable and/or transfer students from one class to another, from one time of study to another, and to merge small classes or cancel classes and courses.
Fees may also be subject to change. During busy periods, The Bury Language School may use additional classrooms at separate locations all within Bury St Edmunds.
10. Beginners / Proficiency Level
If you are a complete beginner we may not have a suitable class. Please inform the School. While it is our intention to aim our high level classes as high as possible, it must be remembered that within any group there is a range of levels and a range of learning needs. BLS English does not run Proficiency level classes. If your learning needs are specific to your career it may be worth considering individual tuition instead of General English. It is the repsonsibility of the individual student to request this before booking.
The accommodation finding fee is not refundable. The accommodation rent is valid only for the person and dates specified. BLS English will only provide accommodation for student registered with BLS English.
All requests to change accommodation dates or location will be charged an additional accommodation administration fee in line with school rates. Any changes of dates must be notified to us in writing at least 3 weeks before the arrival date. Monthly payment in advance of accommodation is accepted with an additional administrative charge payable – in line with current school rates.
We reserve the right to allocate alternative accommodation without prior notification. During busy periods a short bus journey could be necessary. You are expected to pay for this. You will be informed before you arrive. Changing accommodation is only possible at the discretion of the school and is subject to availability. Special requests for accommodation cannot be guaranteed, though BLS English will do its best to make suitable arrangements.
Host details are only released after payment of full fees. Late payment will mean any special requests are less likely to be met. Where BLS English tries to find accommodation to suit your needs, there are no guarantees that we can meet your specific requests. Where payment is late (i.e. less than 6 weeks before arrival), extreme flexibility will be required in terms of your requests, for example distance to School.
Whilst every precaution is taken to check the quality of service, journeys arranged in hired transport or public transport, although booked by the School, are made entirely at the student’s own risk and the School can accept no liability for such journeys.
Students arriving more than ten minutes late will not be allowed to join the class, unless the School is informed in advance.
All students are expected to inform the School when unable to attend classes. Missed classes are only rearranged at the School’s discretion, and where offered, must be taken within an agreed time scale (the original course duration). Persistent absenteeism will result in a verbal warning followed by a written warning and subsequently dismissal from the course without refund.
The minimum age limit is 16 outside of summer. There is no upper age limit. The minimum age limit for Summer Intensive English & Activities Course is 13, max. 17.
15. Public and School Holidays
There is no reduction in the tuition fees for the courses which include Public Holidays.
Students are advised to arrange full insurance cover for health, belongings and cancellation of their course. The School cannot accept responsibility for loss of or damage to student’s property.
17. Queries and Complaints
Students must bring to the attention of the relevant staff and queries or complaints immediately for BLS English to be able to deal with them and to help. BLS English will not accept retrospective queries or complaints.
18. Conduct and Behaviour
Students that break the code of conduct or students displaying any unacceptable behaviour will have their course cancelled without refund. The manager’s decision is final.
19. Force Majeure
Also known as Acts of God, certain events and occurences are outside of The School’s control and so Bury Language School will not be held liable for such events that may disrupt your course, exam, transfer or accommodation. Please check you have adequate personal insurance to cover yourself in such eventualities including but not limited to: war, terrorism, disease, extreme weather, fire, floods, explosions, strikes and acts of state and government prohibiting The School in carrying out its obligations for any booking.
Residential Accommodation Terms & Conditions
Springfield House and Spring Lane Cottage
1. LICENCE BLS English arranges short or long term licence agreements at Springfield House and Spring Lane Cottage (hereinafter called collectively the Student Residence) for full-time students. The Licence is between BLS English as Licensor and the student as licensee. Any issues arising under the Licence should be addressed to BLS English. The Licence will be entered into when BLS English issues the confirmation form and will be subject to all the Booking Conditions. The Student should check the confirmation form carefully.2. PAYMENT A deposit of 25% of the licence fee is payable if the booking is made more than 8 weeks before the start of the licence. The balance shall be payable 4 weeks before the commencement of the licence. BLS English shall construe non-payment of the balance of the licence fee on or before the due date as a cancellation of the licence by the Student. For bookings made less than 4 weeks before the commencement of the licence the total fee is payable. All payments are to be made to: BLS English, Bury Language School Limited 5 Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds Suffolk IP33 1UZ England. Payment details are shown on our current Registration form.
3. CANCELLATION Any cancellation made by the Student for whatever reason shall be in writing (letter, e-mail or fax) and addressed to Bury Language School. The student must be in receipt of written acknowledgement of the cancellation. On receipt of notice of cancellation, BLS English will charge the Student: i. A handling charge of £100 if cancellation is made at least 8 weeks before arrival. ii. 50% of the total licence fees due (up to a maximum of £500) if cancellation is made at least 4 weeks before arrival. iii. 100% of the total licence fees due (up to a maximum of £1000) if cancellation is made at least 4 weeks before arrival iv. If the Student has to cancel during the licence period then 100% of fees due from the point of cancellation would be charged (up to a maximum of £1000) Any refunds due will be made within one month of receipt of notice of cancellation. To qualify for a refund all cancellations must be notified to BLS English in writing (letter, fax or e-mail. Should cancellation be made which does not qualify under the terms of the Cancellation Insurance, the student remains liable in accordance with the Booking Conditions.
4. CHANGES OF DATE BLS English may consider a request from a student to change the dates of the booking after confirmation has been issued. Agreement will be given subject to all of the following conditions being met (1) there is availability for new dates (2) the request is received more than 8 weeks away from the start of the booking (3) the student pays an administration fee of £25 (including VAT).
5. VAT VAT is not charged.
6. PERIOD OF LICENCE Licence periods commence, unless otherwise notified at 4.00 pm on the day of arrival and terminate at 12 noon on the day of departure.
7. USE OF PROPERTY The persons occupying the property must only be those named in the booking confirmation. The 1st and 2nd floors of the property will be used for accommodation purposes only and the ground floor for teaching. BLS English reserves the right to refuse entry to the entire party if this condition is not observed.
8. COMPLAINTS Should there be any cause for complaint during the occupation of the property it must be notified promptly to BLS English and in case of serious problems confirmed in writing.
9. BREAKAGES OR DAMAGE The Student is legally bound to reimburse BLS English for replacement, repair or extra cleaning costs on demand.
10. CARE OF THE PROPERTY The Student shall take all reasonable and proper care of the property and its furniture, pictures, fittings and effects in or on the property and leave them in the same state of repair and condition and in the same clean and tidy condition at the end of the licence period as at the beginning.
12. SECURITY Don’t open the door to strangers. Staff from school will have a key. Lock doors and windows before leaving to prevent intrusion from strangers. Please do not leave your key in the door lock.
11. PETS Licensees are not permitted to bring pets onto the premises at any time.
12. SMOKING Smoking is not permitted in the property.
13. LIABILITY BLS English (for itself, its employees and agents) shall not be liable to the Student or third parties for any accident, damage, loss, injury expense or inconvenience, which may be suffered, incurred, arise out of or in any way connected with the licence. No term of the contract is enforceable under the Contracts (Rights of The Third Parties) Act 1999 by a person who is not a party to the Contract. If the Student Residence becomes unavailable or unusable for any reason whatsoever prior to the commencement of the licence or during the period thereof, then BLS English’s obligation will be to (1) use their best endeavour to find a suitable alternative property, or failing which (2) to reimburse the Student for any monies paid.
14. WARRANTIES BLS English does not warrant and is not responsible for the accuracy of any verbal information given or statements made by its servants or agents.
15. RIGHT OF ENTRY BLS English shall be allowed the right of entry to the Student Residence at all reasonable times for purposes of inspection or to carry out any necessary repairs or maintenance.
16. CANCELLATION INSURANCE We strongly recommend insurance against cancellation for BLS English students.
17. HEALTH AND SAFETY Please read and abide by the following health and safety advice and instructions: a. The loft hatch is to remain closed. Entry is forbidden. b. Do not lean out of the window in case of an accident. c. Personal electrical items are used at your own risk. Electrical equipment supplied has all been PAT tested for electrical safety. d. Any damage or problems please report immediately on the emergency phone number e. Keep front steps clear of debris g. Always clean up spills to prevent slipping h. Make sure that the fire blanket is always in the kitchen. i. Take care when going up and down the stairs inside the house. j. Don’t swallow chemicals or unknown fluids. If you have, call 999 immediately.